Thursday, July 5, 2012

In the Middle of Messy




In the middle of the messy, it's often hard to find the words or the will to stop and say thanks.  But, this simple discipline of giving thanks is teaching me that when I will stop and look up, acknowledge the many good gifts that flow from His hand, and choose to give thanks even in the tough stuff, joy rushes in on the worst of days.  It's in giving thanks that the hard stuff seems a little easier, a lot more bearable, and somehow not quite so big.  Lately, our life has seemed a whole lot messy.  I've been reminded that life is certainly not perfect.  It's rarely neatly packaged; it only stays tidy and organized for a while, and it is in the chaos, the rough stuff, the wanderings and the cries for help that I find my God faithful again and again.  He is kind and loving, patient and long suffering.  He is not easily scared off and He will stay with me through the grime and the dirt, the messes and the whining.  He will even take my temper tantrums in stride and remind me that while I'm going on and on with my insistence on having my way; He really does have it all under control and He is working for my good. 

Oh, thanks be to God!!!  Because of the Lord’s great love we are not consumed, for his compassions never fail. They are new every morning!  (Lamentations 3:22-23)

156.  I am thankful for the reflections of the moon on the lake late in the evening.  What a sight!!!  Reminds me that the God who hung that moon in place, who spoke the Earth into existence, who keeps it all in motion. . .  loves me, knows me by name, and loves me as His own.

157.  I am thankful for that moment when a total stranger approaches me in the store complimenting me for the manners and behavior of my daughters.  WOW!!!  How that humbled my heart.  Reminds me that at all times people are watching our interactions, seeing how we treat one another, seeing how we use our words and our actions.  Thankful that she was respectful of her elders and treated the gentleman with kindness and respect.  Thankful for the awesome privilege of being their mommy!!!

158.  I am thankful for a Saturday morning of creating pottery on the back porch, all four of us.  We attempted to use a pottery wheel.  What a teachable moment about God being the potter and us being the clay. 

159.  I am thankful for a Word from God that you know is just for you.  I am thankful for that moment this week on a video during our Nehemiah study.  I was discouraged and God used the words of a young lady sharing her testimony to let me know to not be discouraged, to keep pushing ahead, to keep my hand to the task.

160.  I am thankful for a great check-up at the doctor for Carrington when she went for her ten-year old check up.  Thankful for her health, for her well-being, for her growth, for her life.

161.  I am thankful when I hear my girls talk about heaven and how they don't want to miss it and they don't want anyone else to miss it either.

162.  I am thankful for a Sunday night spent going door to door inviting children to VBS.  Can't wait to pick those kids up on the bus!

163.  I am thankful for my husband who puts up with me even when I'm frustrated with dust and dust and more dust and floors that need to be replaced from a flooded bathroom and walls that need to be painted and keeps on letting me work through my exasperation.  He loves me!!!!

164.  I am thankful for lunch a McDonald's--not because I like McDonald's but because it was the chance to be with people I love.  I am so very thankful for my friends and my girls and their friends.  Friendship is a gift!!!

165.  I am thankful for every opportunity I get to hear my sweet girls sing.  Their voice is a treasure to me. 

166.  I am thankful for Melinda.  I am thankful for her spirit of service and passion and commitment.  I am thankful that she wants to see children and their families know the grace and mercy of Jesus Christ. 

167.  I am thankful for Garry D. and his commitment to the outreach ministry at GBC. 

168.  I am thankful for Mr. Shirley and Ms. Jackie and their commitment to feed the least of these.

169.  I am thankful for VBS and the opportunity to share the Gospel with boys and girls and moms and dads. 

170.  I am thankful for Courtney and how she's worked so hard to see VBS be all that God would desire for it to be at GBC.

171.  I am thankful that God always brings me back to what matters most regardless of how the enemy tries to get me distracted by fears, lies, frustrations, busyness, . . .  I am thankful that He loves me and seeks intimacy with me through His Word, through prayer, through Worship, through my fellowship with others.  I am thankful that when I seek Him I find Him and that He is evident all around me!!!!

FINALLY,
172.  I am thankful  that "I may be hard pressed on every side, but not crushed; perplexed, but not in despair; persecuted, but not abandoned; struck down, but not destroyed." (2 Corinthians 4:8-9) because "greater is He that within me than He that is within the world (1 John 4:4). 





0 comments:

Post a Comment