Thursday, February 2, 2012

Peeking Back and Looking Ahead

I saw this over at Rage Against the Minivan and babybangs.blogspot.com and thought it was the perfect way to reflect on our 2011 and put somethings in focus for 2012. It's hard to believe February is staring us in the face. Is it just me or does time really move much faster as you get older??? It seems like it was only last week that we were celebrating Christmas and then taking down the decorations, and now, look at us, we're anticipating Valentine's Day and hoping for spring, already seeing Easter decorations, . . . Wow!!! How can it be that our days really do pass us by this quickly?








So, here it goes--a review of our 2011 and a reflection on what we anticipate for 2012.








1. What did you do in 2011 that you'd never done before?








I quit my job as a teacher and we began homeschooling. What a great adventure!! Honestly, it had been my heart's desire since becoming a mom in November 2001, and now I'm getting to spend my days not only be a mom but getting to be their teacher! What a joy!








2. Did you keep your New Year's resolutions, and will you make more this year?








Well, I don't honestly even remember any New Year's resolutions, so my guess is NO!!! I'm not really into making those things. But, I do have a few goals for this year: 1. to run/walk a 5K and 2. to live more intentionally than ever before/not put off till tomorrow what I know I need to do today (i.e. if God puts someone on my heart/mind--call them then, not later, if I feel like I should invite someone to lunch, do it that week not three weeks or a month later, etc.) 3. maintain a healthier lifestyle (food intake (more organic/natural), exercise, sleep, etc.)








3. Did anyone close to you give birth?








No one in my immediate family, but boy did our Sunday school class explode with babies. What a blessing to attend showers and see those cute little ones in class on Sundays!








4. Did anyone close to you die?








No one in my immediate circle died, but it seems like someone in our extended circle is always hurting or losing someone. Death and sickness is definitely a part of our lives as a part of humanity. Thankful for God's sustaining grace.








5. What countries did you visit?








NONE!!! This is changing though--YAY!!!








6. What would you like to have in 2012 that you lacked in 2011?








Clarity








7. What dates from 2011 will remain etched upon your memory and why?








June-We made a decision to change the direction of our adoption journey. We're adopting from Haiti.




Nov. 13th-Anna Claire was baptized.








8. What was your biggest achievement of the year?








Having the faith to walk away from my teaching career to stay at home with the girls full-time. I am so at peace with this and know that I am "doing a good work and can not come down." (Thanks, Sharon!!!)








9. What was your biggest failure?








Failures are sometimes too numerous to count, and honestly I think we're often too close to them to see them at the time. I'm still trying to process some of the hurt of one of those and it's way to raw to talk about. Let's just leave it at that--I could go on and on about failures, and I'm having to leave those in the hands of God and trust Him that He rewrites our stories and is a God of second-chances!!!!








10. Did you suffer illness or injury?








2010 was a year of great illness for me, and 2011 was a year of wholeness and healing. Praise the Lord for medical interventions that work!!!!








11. What was the best thing you bought?








I didn't buy it, but it was bought for me--Kindle 3G!!!








12. Where did most of your money go?








Considering, I quit my job, most of our money went to day-in, day-out expenses of LIFE!!!








13. What did you get really excited about?








We enjoyed going to Disney in March. We also we're really excited about the possibility of moving to Tulsa, but then those plans changed and we're still processing that mile marker in our family journey.








14. What song will always remind you of 2011?








Blessings by Laura Story








15. Compared to this time last year, are you:








-happier or sadder? I'm less stressed, which I guess translates to happier. Overall, I think I'm happier. However, Jason and I both know there's still a part of our story not written and we're unsettled about that.








-thinner or fatter? About the same, and I really don't eat much, which makes me say UGH!!!! I think I have the metabolism of an elephant. I REALLY need to exercise, so that's part of my problem, but that causes some joint/muscle discomfort, but I am working on it. PRAYERS appreciated.








-richer or poorer? I'm unemployed!!! You do the math!!!! But, then again, I'm richer in ways that can't be calculated in dollar signs or checking accounts, and for that I'm GRATEFUL!!!!








16. What do you wish you'd done more of?








I wish we'd spent more time entertaining friends/family at our home. We always enjoy this, but everyone just seems to be TOO BUSY!!!








17. What do you wish you'd done less of?








I wish I'd spent less time worrying over things that are out of my control.








18. How did you spend Christmas?








We had several extended family Christmas. We spent Christmas morning and afternoon at home. We always go to Christmas Eve service at church--it's wonderful!








19. What was your favorite TV program?








NADA!!! I really watch no TV.








20. What were your favorite book of the year?








The Help, Interrupted by Jen Hatmaker, Kisses from Katie, A Thousand Gifts








21. What was your favorite music from this year?








I love worship music--Travis Cottrell, Chris Tomlin, Casting Crowns, Third Day. . . I also like Taylor Swift and Carrie Underwood for a little change.








22. What were your favorite films of the year?








I think The Help is one of the best movies I've seen in a very long time. I also saw Courageous and would recommend it highly.








23. What did you do on your birthday, and how old were you?








I turned 36. I'm sure we ate out, but really, I don't remember what I ate for dinner three nights ago, much less 5 months ago. SORRY!!!








24. What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying?








We are still pressing forward with our adoption journey. If we had our little Haitan baby(ies) home, that would be incredibly satisfying. Jason and I are also both hungry to find God's specific place of service in ministry for us. That will be immeasurably satisfying too. More of CHRIST--Less of us!!








25. How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2011?








Hahaha!!! That question is really for someone else--not me!!! Wish I had one. But most days I don't have time to think about it. Just trying to get where I'm going is my goal.








26. What kept you sane?








Knowing I could hash it all out with God--nothing surprises Him about me!!!! Jason and I can talk through anything. We don't get it right every time, but we're committed to talking it through and sticking it out. A couple of very close friends who are faithful to pray for me and to be REAL!!!!








27. Tell us a valuable life less you learned in 2011.








It's really just about you and God--no one else's approval will really matter in the end (Gal. 1:10). Although everyone has an opinion, very few people are tried and true and will stick with you through the good, the bad, and the ugly!!!!

0 comments:

Post a Comment