Friday, February 28, 2014

Giving Thanks When You Really Don't Feel Like It

If we're honest with each other, sometimes giving thanks is the last thing we feel like.  Life is hard and it seems like we've become a target for the enemy.  We feel like we're having more than our fair share of stuff.  Well, that's where our family has been for the last few weeks.  Frankly, life has been a great big bag of the "mully grubs".  We've been faced with one sickness after another.  Transitions with jobs and schedules have been difficult to put it mildly.  We've missed family like never before as I've tried to figure out how to get 3 children everywhere they need to be and haven't had my mom or dad or mother-in-law or father-in-law just a phone call away to help out.  It's been TOUGH!

As I was thinking about this during the last 24 hours, I was reminded of the need to sometimes just make a choice, a choice to rejoice about something.  In 1 Thessalonians (v. 16-18), the author (Paul) instructs his readers to "Always be joyful.  Never stop praying.  Be thankful in all circumstances, for this is God's will for you who belong to Christ Jesus."  Well, that's pretty clear.  So, today I'm going to be intentional with my thanksgiving.  I'm going to stop for just a minute and reflect on some things I'm thankful for in the midst of what seems like a battle that's up to my eyeballs.  I'm going to remind myself that even in the darkest of nights there is joy and peace that is only found in communion with my God.  I'm going to remind myself that while I am NOT thankful for these circumstances I will choose to be thankful in the middle of my circumstances.  He's my God.  I'm His kid. He is bigger.  He is enough and for that I will choose joy and choose to be thankful.

#343  I am thankful for a weekend spent with my parents.  I am thankful for games of Bananagrams, lunch together at the Cheesecake Factory, a Daddy who insists on fixing something every time he's here, and a mom who makes us macaroni 'n cheese.

#344  I am thankful for a hubby who works hard.  He will do whatever it takes to earn an income for his family and then come home exhausted and spent and still keeps giving so that we can keep life going.

#345  I am thankful for medicines like benadryl, steroids, and epipins that save lives when serious allergic reactions are involved.

#346  I am thankful for Krispy Kreme doughnut runs with my 12 year old at the end of a long tiring day when you just need a little pick me up.

#347  I am thankful for a phone call from a nice lady who offers to take you for a medical appointment just so you don't have to go alone.

#348  I am thankful for a friend who watches over your children when you are at that medical appointment.

#349  I am thankful for conversations about Disney World and Heaven and a child who gets the fact that Disney World doesn't hold a candle to what Heaven is like.

#350  I am thankful for the blessing of seeing my daughter run and play and score 3 goals during a soccer game, enjoying the fun of it all.

#351  I am thankful for lunch with a group of ladies who are choosing to do life together all around God's Word.

#352  I am thankful for a little guy who looks at me and calls me momma and makes me laugh and wants to be held and likes to read a book and thinks I'm funny.

#353  I am thankful for hope that whatever you face is only a season.  I am thankful that there is a reason for every season and God doesn't waste anything on us.

Today I'm choosing joy and thanks. I hope you will too.  I think it lifts a little of the burden that we carry. Blessings to you my friend!

0 comments:

Post a Comment